Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spasms in back muscle

Piet - Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:12 pm

I get a severe spasm in my lower back muscle. I know I get it because of stress. Ans when I have this severe pain in my back, I even sress more!

I do regular exercise. But at the moment I cannot take the pain any more. I do not want to keep on using pain killers and anti-inflammotory medication.

My question: Can a nerve be cut in my back so that I would not experience any pain, in spite of a spasm?

Thank you so much!
Piet di Toit
 Dr. A. Saif - Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:23 am

User avatar Hi Piet,

No, a nerve can not be cut to relieve you of this pain. Nor should it, even if it were possible. The muscles in your back that would also be affected would be greatly weakened and aggravate pain further.

There are lots of reasons for such pain, and is important to rule out the non musculo-skeletal causes of the pain, such as kidney problems (e.g. renal colic), as well as address the back itself. If you have ruled out all these possibilities, and are keen to adress the symptoms, muscle spasm can be helped by physiotherapy and massage, and TENS machines and acupuncture. If stress is the cause of the problem, then addessing the stress may be more appropriate!

Saif

|