News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spasms in back muscle

Piet - Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:12 pm

I get a severe spasm in my lower back muscle. I know I get it because of stress. Ans when I have this severe pain in my back, I even sress more!

I do regular exercise. But at the moment I cannot take the pain any more. I do not want to keep on using pain killers and anti-inflammotory medication.

My question: Can a nerve be cut in my back so that I would not experience any pain, in spite of a spasm?

Thank you so much!
Piet di Toit
 Dr. A. Saif - Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:23 am

User avatar Hi Piet,

No, a nerve can not be cut to relieve you of this pain. Nor should it, even if it were possible. The muscles in your back that would also be affected would be greatly weakened and aggravate pain further.

There are lots of reasons for such pain, and is important to rule out the non musculo-skeletal causes of the pain, such as kidney problems (e.g. renal colic), as well as address the back itself. If you have ruled out all these possibilities, and are keen to adress the symptoms, muscle spasm can be helped by physiotherapy and massage, and TENS machines and acupuncture. If stress is the cause of the problem, then addessing the stress may be more appropriate!

Saif

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here