Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Will a herniated disc with migration heal itself?

oklasteve1962 - Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:09 am

I am a 46 yr old male.I have diabetes,hypertension and I smoke.On March 18th 2009 I suffered a back inury.I am a paramedic and was on shift.I was taking a 360lb pt out of the back of my ambulance.The cot had a malfunction and I ended up dropping the cot with the pt on it.I was the only one who had a hold of the cot and when it fell it went all the way to the ground with me holding on to it.Since this happened I have been in terrible pain.I have had an MRI and it states L4-L5 is herniated and L5-S1 is herniated and that both have moderate migration.I have been experiencing sever pain not only in my back but also down the right sciatic nerve associated with some right leg pain and numbness on my right little toe and toe next to the little toe.On occasion my right leg will give completely out and if I do have hold of something will fall to the ground.I have seen an orthopedic surgeon and he seems to think it will all go away on its own and that I will be able to return to work in a couple of weeks.Since the accident happened it seems to me like it is getting worse and not better.The pain is getting worse.My leg and sciatic nerve pain are getting worse.It hurst to walk,sit,stand,couch,sneeze,drive and I only sleep about 3 or 4 hours a night because I cannot get comfortable and the pain awakens me.Also in the accident I injured my back around T-7 and my cervicle spine around C-4 but the doctor doesn't seem to think they are worth looking at so I have no idea what,if anything,might be wrong with them.I understand that it is workers comp and they have the say so in what gets treated.But they have aggred to an MRI of my T spine and C spine but the doctor doesn't feel an MRI is needed.Am I being to critical of the doctor or should I be more aggressive in my desire to be treated for all my injuries?Should I attempt to seek out a different doctor who is willing to treat all my injuries?And will a disc herniation with migration heal itself?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:51 am

First about the lumbar disc herniations. The radiology report should say something about any impingement (yes or no) of the thecal sac or nerve root impingement - this may explain the sciatic symptoms. Usually neurosurgery is a better consult than general orthopedics. You may also consider EMG study to determine the extent of nerve damage into the leg. Weakness in the leg is a concerning sign especially if it is caused by nerve impingement in the lumbar spine. This would be an indication for surgical repair.
For the cervical spine, an MRI would be reasonable especially if any radiating arm pain, numbness, or tingling.
Take care and let us know how it goes.
 mdoucet - Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:54 pm

i am a 47 woman, had a car accident in 98,i spend one year of coming home from work and lying on the floor crying in pain, i had the same symptoms as this man, i suffered until this summer i deceided that i would ask my doctor for a scan, i have a herniated disc L3 , i thought i would try a massage therapy clinic, my pain after only going twice improved 90%, i couldn't believe it. i would recommed it to anybody who has any pain, even my 83 year old mother was going. Find a good one and it can,will help you.

|