Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: sleeping on the floor good for the spine?

karenblubird - Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:27 pm

I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck area, seems to be getting worse around my shoulders and also the center of my back( right between my shoulder blades). Also in the area between my shoulder blades that is uncomfortable it radiates directly in the front between my ribs(where someone would do the hymlich) it is uncomfortable now too. I was curious what this sounds like to you and also is it good for a person's spine to sleep on the floor?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Sometimes people with neck pain position their neck to relieve pain. However, if the "comfort" position is poor posture, it may start to affect the lower spine i.e. between the shoulder blades or in the shoulders. So, the solution starts with the neck and seeing if posture, range of motion, muscle strength and flexibility, and any tenderness can be improved or corrected. Often this helps the shoulders and midback.
The floor question is excellent. Culturally, people who sit on the floor for activities (like meals) have less back pain than those who sit at tables and chairs but floor people may have more hip and knee pain. This may be a difference say between Orientals and Westerners.
Lying on the floor may help low back pain: usually people lie on their stomachs (prone) and place heating pad on the lumbar spine. Prone position places the least amount of stress on the lumbar spine. However, if you have neck pain, stomach lying may be painful or harmful. When you lay your body on the floor facing up (supine), it is important to bend the knees. This decreases the stress on the low back. For back exercises, supine is one of the best starting positions.

Hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.

|