Question: old skull fracture

TitusCicero - Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:32 pm

This may sound crazy but it has really been bothering me as late. When I was 20 I realized I had a crack in the front of my skull on the right side starting at the top right. Now that I am 32 and bald I have discovered the crack is a U shape and starts in the front and U's around to the side of my skull (around right frontal lobe.) It is old, deep and prevelant. The top front right off skull is somewhat flat. The rest of skull us symetrical.

Is it normal to have cracks in the skull in this area. Could it of caused issues? Is it is still causing issues?

When I was a child I experienced learning issues regardless of a high IQ. I am left handed and my handwriting is terrible regardless of practice and a decent education.

I want to bounce this off a few forums before I spend lots of money on it since my insurance, like most Americans, sucks and pays for nothing; especially "pre-existing."

Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53 am

As young children the skull bones are not fused until later childhood. Some skull abnormalities occasionally exist where the sutures (between the individual skull bone) fuse prematurely. Whether this was your case, I do not know. The result can be abnormal shape of the head and potentially poor brain development.
As an adult, skull fractures can obviously cause lots of problems - bleeding and swelling and since the brain controls many body functions, a host of secondary problems can result.
If there are no neurological problems (weakness, speech problems, hearing, vision, taste, salivation, cognition, mood, memory, poor balance, seizures.), then the shape of the skull is likely not causing problems.
I would consider asking a physician to check the skull and cranial nerves and other neurological office tests/exam to rule out any deficits.

|