News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Wrist sprain, fracture or ligament tear????

tigdra - Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:19 pm

I'm in martial arts and I was hitting punching mitts, but wasn't giving my full attention . A pain instantly took over in less than 5 seconds, my wrist and the back of my hand swelled up for about a day and a half . I applied ice and heat and took 3 Ibprofin 800 a day for 3 days. It has been three weeks and the pain has subsided a lot but there still is some lingering pain on the wrist that radiates half way through the thumb none of the other fingers feel pain or discomfort. I can performs pushups on my knuckles (hand in a shape of a fist to the ground) w/o much discomfort but I can't do pushups on my palms. If I put my palm against a wall I get sharp pain on the wrist and if I keep my hand in the same position like hand against the wall (straight arm fingers up and palm facing away from you) and rotate my wrist counter clockwise it hurts but it doesn't hurt if I rotate it clock wise. I just would like to know if any one can tell me what might be going on
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:03 am

User avatar Hello,
Any high or repetitive impact traumatic injury causing sudden onset of pain warrants an xray.
If no fracture, then we write this a sprain. Sprains traumatize ligaments and the tissue around joints.
Since the pain is radiating to the thumb, there may be some acute arthrtis in the wrist or carpal joints on the thumb side (radial side).
It is important to have this x-ray before moving on with rigorous hand use because a re-traumatized fracture will not heal well.
If no fracture, you may consider some physical therapy on the hand for a few weeks.
Take care.
 tigdra - Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:58 pm

thank you for the respond ... I will do so...just in case get an xray

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here