Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Post ACL Knee Surgery Sound

tigdra - Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:21 pm

It's been 3 1/2 years since my ACL knee surgery, they used my own ligament not one of a cadaver. I have a full range of movement with my knee and there hasn't been any pain associated with it for over a year, but when I do deep squats or when I fully bend my knee to pick something off the floor my knee clicks or plucks. The knee doesn't hurt when it sounds just wanted to know if it is something bad or something that I should look into.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm

The plucking or cracking sounds of the knee with deep squats without pain is not too concerning.
Joint popping and crackling without pain is often normal.
However, the kneecap should be assessed for mal-aligned. Grinding of the patella femoral joint following surgical knee repair may lead to degeneration of the cartilage or tendonitis.

Also, have the integrity of the knee evaluated by a physician just to make sure the knee is not getting "sloppy" from laxity of ligaments.

Thanks for writing in and take care.

|