Question: possible ATFL injury?

focusgrl824 - Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:43 pm

About 4 months ago my husband and I were going for a walk and I rolled my ankle inward on an uneven sidewalk. I immediately fell to the ground and had severe pain. After a few minutes rest, I walked home with my husbands help. I still had pain, but it had subsided a bit from the initial accident. I'm not typically the kind of person to be a complainer about things, so I just let it go and really did nothing for it. After a few days it started feeling better, but not completely. I thought in time I would be ok. However, its been at least 4 months now, and I have this painful popping/cracking on the outer portion of my ankle if I turn it certain ways. (ATFL?) It doesn't particularly bother me if I'm walking, but I drive a stick shift and I notice that when I move my foot from the gas to the clutch, this is when most of the discomfort takes place.
Is this something that is a big deal that I should get it looked at, or in time will it be ok? It just worries me that I didnt do anything after the initial injury and something might be wrong.
Thanks for your help
 Donovan0311 - Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 am

Hello, I have an extreem sudden and sharp pain in my ankle, between the achiles and the rotating joint. I have had no recent trama and the pain comes and goes. The pain is worse at rest and constant movement almost make it go away compleatly. I had the same sympoms 8 months ago a doctor gave me noproxin and said it was artritus but im 26 and even the antiinflamatory was useless.
 focusgrl824 - Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:08 am

*edit* when i move from the gas to the brake
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:04 pm

focusgrl824:
ATFL stands for anterior talo fibular ligament. It commonly is sprained with an inversion ankle sprain. It sounds like the ankle hurts moving from gas to brake...this would require the ankle evertors (e.g. peroneus brevis and longus muscles) to contract. However, if you press on the brake with the ball of the foot with the ankle turned in slightly, this may mimic the motion that sprained the ankle.
If any case, it is important to do some rehab exercises with the ankle and even see a physical therapist. This can be set up through your family physician.

donovan0311:
The ankle pain may indeed be arthritis which can occur secondary to trauma or overuse. An xray would be my choice of test to see if the ankle joint and bones around the ankle are healthy.
Otherwise a thorough history and physical exam may reveal a causative factor. This may be done by an orthopedist who specializes in foot and ankle problems.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

|