Question: Plate in Hand, Healing Time?

airline10 - Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey guys,

I broke my 4th metacarpal and had surgery on it last Wednesday (April 8th), the doctor put a plate in to help the bone heal straight, so my question is when should I have full movement back in my hand?

Another concern is what are the chances of the screws coming lose? I have tried to keep movement to a minimal amount but im still scared, I have been typing a lot with that hand and just worried that I might be doing to much and it will come out.

Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:44 pm

Generally speaking, it takes 6 weeks for bone to heal however with a plate and screws some fracture care will allow more use sooner than later. This may be the case with your hand. Talk to the ortho doc about restrictions on movement. If he allows active range of motion but no strengthening then some typing may be fine. I would not overdo it though. Again, check with the ortho doc before starting exercise or return to work activity.
The likelihood of displacing the screws is low especially with guarded activities.
Swelling, pain, and stiffness will prevent full range of motion but with time this should improve. The main thing is not to overdo activity at this point.
Take care and keep us posted.
 airline10 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Thanks for the info, I had to take the dressing off tonight, but I'm going to the doctor in two days so I'll explain why, (someone threw up on it, eww). I have a good range of motion back in the hand and just hope that I will be ready for golf in a few weeks, even if I have to take therpy to get full range of motion back.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 03, 2009 10:08 pm

User avatar Thanks for the update.

|