"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: 20 years old and need a knee replacement....

jk0274737 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:11 pm

I have had 3 knee surgeries since I was 16 and they all worked for a year or two then quit. I have what is called a reacuring dislocating patella which means my knee cap wasnt formed completley and it dislocates left of my leg. I had arthroscopic surgery and they cleaned out my knee and drained the fluid because I had so many bone shards floating around. I have had a lateral release and all my ligaments cut and tied shorter because they thought that would work and it did for about 2 years and not even less than a year ago i had what they call the houser procedure were they cut a piece if my tibia and rotated it and put two screw and a plate and moved my tendon. That didnt even last three months. Now I need a TNR and they apparenty wont give you one until your 50. It hurts to walk I can put no presure on it and am scared to do any activities! Is there nothing else they can do that will work.
 Momx7 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:07 pm

I am not a Dr but feel some of your pain. I am 43 and got the same run around about not getting a replacement until I was 70 and to live with it and continue to take RX pain meds until then. I cannot do that. It has taken me 2 years of meeting surgeon after surgeon to find 2 that agreed to do it, one in my town and one several hours away. Hang in there. Keep looking for a Dr. You have the right to not be in pain and when you need a knee you need one regardless of age or size. Try your primary doctor first he/she may be able to recommend someone willing to work with someone of your age. Then try large cities near you, you will find a qualified Surgeon/Dr. to assist you in your quest for a better knee.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:47 pm

It sounds like you have had the two procedures indicated to correct a chronic dislocating patella.
I am curious about the need to replace the entire knee when the problem is the patella femoral joint.
There are cartilage replacement fluids that can be injected into the knee.
I would try conservative approaches before doing a radical knee replacement. 20 y.o. is too young for a total knee replacement.
There is patella taping and bracing techniques to keep the patella aligned. You would need a trained physical therapist to help with this. Also, aquatic therapy may be the best medium for exercise for you.

All the best to you. Let us know how it goes.