News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: 20 years old and need a knee replacement....

jk0274737 - Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:11 pm

I have had 3 knee surgeries since I was 16 and they all worked for a year or two then quit. I have what is called a reacuring dislocating patella which means my knee cap wasnt formed completley and it dislocates left of my leg. I had arthroscopic surgery and they cleaned out my knee and drained the fluid because I had so many bone shards floating around. I have had a lateral release and all my ligaments cut and tied shorter because they thought that would work and it did for about 2 years and not even less than a year ago i had what they call the houser procedure were they cut a piece if my tibia and rotated it and put two screw and a plate and moved my tendon. That didnt even last three months. Now I need a TNR and they apparenty wont give you one until your 50. It hurts to walk I can put no presure on it and am scared to do any activities! Is there nothing else they can do that will work.
 Momx7 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:07 pm

I am not a Dr but feel some of your pain. I am 43 and got the same run around about not getting a replacement until I was 70 and to live with it and continue to take RX pain meds until then. I cannot do that. It has taken me 2 years of meeting surgeon after surgeon to find 2 that agreed to do it, one in my town and one several hours away. Hang in there. Keep looking for a Dr. You have the right to not be in pain and when you need a knee you need one regardless of age or size. Try your primary doctor first he/she may be able to recommend someone willing to work with someone of your age. Then try large cities near you, you will find a qualified Surgeon/Dr. to assist you in your quest for a better knee.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like you have had the two procedures indicated to correct a chronic dislocating patella.
I am curious about the need to replace the entire knee when the problem is the patella femoral joint.
There are cartilage replacement fluids that can be injected into the knee.
I would try conservative approaches before doing a radical knee replacement. 20 y.o. is too young for a total knee replacement.
There is patella taping and bracing techniques to keep the patella aligned. You would need a trained physical therapist to help with this. Also, aquatic therapy may be the best medium for exercise for you.

All the best to you. Let us know how it goes.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here