Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Bakers cyst removal with total knee replacement

Momx7 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 pm

After 2 years of pain meds and physical therapy and a scope, I found a surgeon willing to do a total knee replacement. However during the course of the two year treatment I have been told I have a Bakers Cyst also. I asked my surgeon about taking the cyst out when he went in to do the replacement. While his response made sense, I am not sure I like the answer. He told me that when doing joint replacement surgeries, there is a routine that is followed so that no steps are missed and he would not deviate from that routine. If I had the Baker cyst before the surgery that was bothering me it would bother me after the surgery as well. Seems to me to be a pointless thing to have surgery to only fix one thing. Should I look for a new surgeon? Scheduled for Tuesday 4/21 for BOTH knees. I am 43.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Often a Baker's cyst is the result of internal knee damage. When you fix the internal derangement, you help the Baker's cyst.
If you were to only correct the cyst without correct the internal knee damage, the cyst would return.
The Baker's cyst will be there after total knee replacement but should decrease as the swelling decreases.

|