Question: Broken Finger Requiring Surgery?

mtrehy - Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I fractured and dislocated my left pinky 4 weeks ago playing cricket. After the injury I had it x-rayed, examined and pulled back into shape. The doctor seemed pretty confident all was well and off I went.

4 weeks later and I still can't bend it and it's still sore so I decided I better get it looked at again. I saw a different doctor who declared that the fracture was "one of the worst he'd ever seen" and that I'd probably never have full mobility again. He says I can have surgery, but he's not sure exactly what to do, but says that it needs stretching via some kind of external mechanism.

I'm trying to get a second opinion, but where I'm currently located the medical care is not great and hard to know exactly who to trust.

I've uploaded my x-ray and it can be viewed here...

Image

http://clients.gsfitch.net/other/finger.html
I really appreciate any opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:22 pm

This is a comminuted fracture of the proximal middle phalanx of the 5th digit. Fixation is required - pins or plate/screws. You will likely lose flexion at the middle phalanx joint because the fracture affects the flexor tendon shealth. The best chance at getting some range of motion to return is to have the finger surgically fixed and start early motion.
An orthopedic surgeon can guide you through all the details.

|