News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spinal fusion causing limbs to fall asleep?

corrysmonkeys - Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:39 pm

For the past 3 months, my hands, arms, legs, and feet have been falling asleep for what seems like no apparent reason. Usually, the limbs are either only mildly constricted, or not constricted at all when this happens. The sensation is that of pins and needles, numbness, and severe discomfort upon attempting to move the limb. A few days ago, I got out of bed and stood up, only to immediately collapse because my right leg was completely numb. I saw my doctor about these issues, and he said he couldn't detect any circulation problems, and then diagnosed me with carpal tunnel in my wrists. However, my hands are definitely not the only problem -- as I said, my arms, legs, and feet have been falling asleep and experiencing numbness too. Sometimes I even wake up feeling the back of my neck and part of the back of my head have fallen asleep too.

In 1994 I had an upper spinal fusion to correct Kyphosis. I haven't had an problems or complications from the surgery aside from soreness and muscle pain. I am wondering if the problems I'm having with my limbs could be related to the fusion. Thanks so much for your help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am

User avatar Hello,
With all four limb paresthesias, there some potential syndromes or diseases to rule out in addition to considering the neck fusion possibly causing arm symptoms.

I would start by screening for:
-diabetes
-hypothyroidism
-rheumatoid/connective tissue disorder (depending on any other symptoms)

So workup would include:
-fasting blood sugar
-TSH and free T4
-and a rheumatological panel (CBC,CRP,sed rate, RF, ANA, anti CCP)

If everything comes back normal I may consider doing an EMG and NCV on the limbs to look for neurological problems.

Of course all of this would be considered and ordered through your family physician not to mention a thorough history and physical exam.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here