Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: pinched nerve in Neck C6

sunsetgirl - Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 am

Hi
I suffered a pinched nerve in my neck C6 in January of this year! - I was takng voltaron 50mg 3x daily for about 3 weeks - I still am having a hard time with it and still have pain, kinda cracking sound in my neck and numbness in upper arm - not in thumb anymore.
How long does it take a pinched nerve to heal??? - Is there anything recomended?
I did this believe or not trying to Boast my car in the cold and having a hard time with the boaster cables for about an hour!! I did break my Scaffoid Bone 2years and my wrist and thumb always did get a little sore doing some things.
Thank you
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:55 pm

With pinched nerves in the neck, a sign of improvement is the centralization of symptoms. Therefore, the fact that the thumb numbness has gone away and none just neck pain is a sign of improvement.
The prognosis of the pinched nerve depends on the cause of it. A severe disc protrusion causing nerve impingement is different than nerve inflammation verses a bony spur in the neck pinching the nerve.
An MRI should be able to show the cause of the pinched nerve.
For the neck, some physical therapy may help including a home exercise program. Cervical traction may help with the neck pain too.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

|