Question: Broken hand? Went to E.R. and they say no.

raraavis22 - Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 am

Ok about a month ago i fell down and my pinky finger cought the edge of a wall with my full body weight and then the pain began in my hand. I ended up going the the emergency room and had x-rays done, but when they came back i guess they saw nothing there. They told me to take some tylenol and i should be fine, they even made jokes about going to the E.R. because of my pinky.

I get a SEVERE pain when ever i move my hand (right below my pinky knuckle) and the area where the pain is coming from has swollen and become bruised. The swelling is between my ring finger and my pinky finger knuckles. When i touch the area where i think the break is i cannot feel any kind of sensation on the skin surface (skin is numb). I thought maybe the doctors were right that i might have torn some tissue in there and it will heal over time. As it stand right now it is getting worste than when it first happened. What worries me the most about this is the numbness im getting to my skin where the swelling is. It feels like my vein is turning solid (which is creepy).

My question is: If this is not a break then what could this possibly be?
Or
Could this really be a break and the doctors just missed it somehow?
 Debra Van Ness RN - Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 pm

If this has been a month ago and symptoms are worsening, please see a doctor very very soon. Even if not broken it could have done some damage temporarily to the connective tissues. (eg. sprain). The numbness is a little conerning also. It sounds as if either the swelling itself is affecting a nerve or that you could have something else going on as a result of the injury causing a problem with a nerve.
Do not let this go.

And I just want to add that you did the right thing by going to the ER in the first place. As far as missing something on an x/ray, I don't know. However, I do not think it is common to miss a fracture diagnosis with an x/ray.

Some temporary things that you might do is to keep the hand elevated as often as possible to reduce the swelling. You might call your doctor and ask him if you can use some ice packs on the hand also. Maybe apply ice for about 10 minutes and then remove it for a few minutes. Do this several times a day. Also ask the doc if you can take some Ibuprofen over the counter as it is an anti inflamatory medication that may also help relieve some of the pain.

Seek attention for that hand.

Debra Van Ness RN
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:51 pm

I agree with Debra to re xray the hand. In the meantime buddy tape the 4th and 5th fingers together, ice and elevate.
Let us know how it goes.

|