News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: spinal pain

sniklefritz - Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:22 am

I am 33 y.o. female. I am 5' 9" I weigh 147 lbs. I have had 3 children the last was in 2004. when i was pregnant with my first child, at around 8 months, i slipped on ice and landed on my tailbone. (very painful) I was also in an fender bender at 8 months. with my second child I was in a minor car accident, no injuries, at 8 months. my second child was very hard on my body. the doctors said she dislocated my hips when I was having her. when i got pregnant with my last baby in 2004 the doctor put me on bed rest at 3 months. i have been in a couple of car accidents, one was a roll over in a 1ton flatbed duely.
I have severe pain in my spine most of the time. I can't sleep on my back or my stomach and throughout the night roll from side to side. I can't put my arms above my head I get dizzy and can feel myself blacking out. many times standing or stretching causes me to get dizzy and intense pain in my head. In 2003 i was putting something away in a cabinet above my refrigerator and passed out. My husband at the time described it to me as, all of a sudden i passed out when he tried talking to me he said that i was shaking like cunvulsions and that my eyes were open. I could hear him calling my name but i couldn't move or talk and he sounded really far away. after this episode i became very caustous of holding my arms over my head.
i went to a cyraprater and he told me that all my bones were out of line and that I would need to come in at least once a week.(to exspensive for my budget) I constantly have hip pain and pain in my tailbone(especially when sitting) I have 2-3 discs in my neck that slide out of place. when I pop my back it relieves some of the pain. i can't let any one pop my back. When they get to poping my back between my shoulder blades and up my neck i feel like i'm going to pass out.
What could be wrong????
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm

User avatar Hello,
Certainly there is a lot going on with your spine.
The primary concern is the passing out spells with change in head position and sounds like cervical extension worsens the symptoms.
Therefore it is important to xray the c spine to look for any fracture, dislocations, or spondylosis (abnormality of the spine).
Also, the integrity of the vertebral artery should be questioned. A good test to see the structure is MRA (magnetic resonance angiography). A problem with the vertebral artery (which runs through the cervical spine) can cause some of your symptoms.
Given your history of multiple MVA's, it is worthwhile to check.

Secondly, the low back pain may be stemming from the SI joint. Often this joint in pregnant women becomes shifted out of alignment in pregnant women due to laxity of pelvic ligaments.
A competent orthopedic physical therapist can assess the sacrum and correct any abnormalities.

Thanks for writing in and take care. Let us know how it goes.
 sniklefritz - Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:19 am

I am currently seeing a doctor about my pain. I have been put in physical therapy 3 times a week. The following is what was ordered for my physical therapy
Evaluate & treat, Massage therapy, Modalities: Hot/cold packs, Ultrasound, Electrical stimulation, Iontophoresis and Therapeutic exedrcise. I also have to do an X-ray Lumbar spine. The Dr. perscribe me 75mg Voltaren 1 tablet twice a day.
At my last visit I had mention that I was in alot more pain then usual but figured it was just my period. I have a very iregular period. It is always very painful cramps from mid stomach to lower thigh. My flow has increased and I am clotting pretty bad. I had a hernia & ovarian cyst surgery after my last child in 2004. Could this be the cause of the pain in my lower back or is this something totally different? Should I be worried?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:47 pm

User avatar Certainly, internal pelvic organs can cause low back pain.

A next step to finding out would be a transvaginal and intravaginal ultrasound to assess the uterus and ovaries.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here