News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Metatarsal Stress Fracture & Shin Pain

hollyster1218 - Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:28 pm

I have always excercised regularly, but it was non-weight bearing (e.g., elliptical machine, stationary bike). I started running this past March, and started out a pretty heavy shcedule. I ran 5 times a week anywhere from 3 to 4 miles. About 3 weeks later, I developed pain in my right foot, saw a doctor, and was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my third metarsal. I was put in a walking boot for 4 weeks, and just got the OK to go without it this past Tuesday (2 days ago). Since then, I have developed pain in my lower shin. It feels like very bad shin splint. It hurts when I walk and when I flex my foot. I am wondering if this is because I am just not used to walking without the boot yet (I am a college student at a large university, so I walk around campus all day long) or if it could possibly be another stress fracture in my tibia?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri May 01, 2009 11:32 am

User avatar Hello,
Yes and yes to your question about the shin splint.
It could be secondary to wearing the boot for 4 weeks then resuming regular walking.
It may be residual from the running and now presenting itself.
Thirdly, it may be a stress fracture. Shin splints are microtears or trauma at the medial tibia.
An examination and symptomatic treatment with NSAIDS, Ice or heat and rest would be indicated. Xray may or may not show the fracture (if there is one). Treatment would not change however may give you a clearly prognosis and when you may return to regular activities (granted that the running regimen was too much too fast).
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here