Question: healing brusied rib???

sephfreleigh - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:01 am

hi i was sparring with a friend and got kicked in the rib 3 weeks ago the pain seemed to go away but i could still feel it where it hurt well anyways three weeks later im sitting at work in an unconformable position get up and the pain returned not a intense as when i got hit but still very painful i want to start to work out again but im afraid of re injuring it further i guess my questions is
1 did i bruise crack or dislocate something
2 how long should it normally take to heal
thats guy for you services
below i included a more detailed description on what happen

i got kicked from a mid air back strieght kick pushing my rib inward placement about 45 degrees from my center line i don't think its broken somehow i think i would be in more pain. when it happen i had shortness of breath for about a half hour swelling but no bruising on the skin hurt when i moved twisted and bent over on the ride home the position i was in made me breath shallow because of the pain if i sneezed it would hurt like hell. when i felt around my rips and agian while i reingered it there was pain on the spot that he kicked me and on my side on what i imagen would be the same rib
thanks again guys and gals
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 am

Sorry about the injury...sounds like the jolt to the ribs was quite traumatic.

In fact, I would not hesitate to xray the area. With trauma to the rib cage, xrays will help determine if there are fractures and/or lung injury. Once these are ruled out, you can expect recovery from 2-6 weeks depending on the extent of damage.

Treatment also include pain management to allow full deep breaths.

Return to activity is pain dependent so easy does it.

golden oldie - Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:32 pm

After a fall in which I bounced my lower left back ribs off a sharp table corner on July 3, xrayed on July 4 with no obvious fractures but much pain, the rib area is still tense and occasionally painful after three months. Is this within the "allowable" healing time frame? The fact that I am 78 could influence the healing.......am I expecting too much at my age?
Thank you.

|