News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: healing brusied rib???

sephfreleigh - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:01 am

hi i was sparring with a friend and got kicked in the rib 3 weeks ago the pain seemed to go away but i could still feel it where it hurt well anyways three weeks later im sitting at work in an unconformable position get up and the pain returned not a intense as when i got hit but still very painful i want to start to work out again but im afraid of re injuring it further i guess my questions is
1 did i bruise crack or dislocate something
2 how long should it normally take to heal
thats guy for you services
below i included a more detailed description on what happen

i got kicked from a mid air back strieght kick pushing my rib inward placement about 45 degrees from my center line i don't think its broken somehow i think i would be in more pain. when it happen i had shortness of breath for about a half hour swelling but no bruising on the skin hurt when i moved twisted and bent over on the ride home the position i was in made me breath shallow because of the pain if i sneezed it would hurt like hell. when i felt around my rips and agian while i reingered it there was pain on the spot that he kicked me and on my side on what i imagen would be the same rib
thanks again guys and gals
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 am

User avatar Hello,
Sorry about the injury...sounds like the jolt to the ribs was quite traumatic.

In fact, I would not hesitate to xray the area. With trauma to the rib cage, xrays will help determine if there are fractures and/or lung injury. Once these are ruled out, you can expect recovery from 2-6 weeks depending on the extent of damage.

Treatment also include pain management to allow full deep breaths.

Return to activity is pain dependent so easy does it.

Take care.
 golden oldie - Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:32 pm

After a fall in which I bounced my lower left back ribs off a sharp table corner on July 3, xrayed on July 4 with no obvious fractures but much pain, the rib area is still tense and occasionally painful after three months. Is this within the "allowable" healing time frame? The fact that I am 78 could influence the healing.......am I expecting too much at my age?
Thank you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here