Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Understanding MRI of Lumber spine

rhontim - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 am

I am a 43 year old women who has had a disectommy of L5-S1 in 2006. I continue to have several serious episodes with back and leg pain. Recently hospitlized for 3 days. Can someone help me understand the MRI results they are as follows:

At L5-S1 There is desiccation of disk. There is a broad central disk herniation slighly more prominent left of midline displacing the left S1 root Dorsally. There is also some facet and ligamentous overgrowth at this level.

Would I benefit from another disectomy or fusion?

Please help
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 05, 2009 11:21 am

The L5/S1 disc is bulging and hitting a nerve. If your symptoms are on the left side especially into the hip, leg or foot then the pinched nerve is the cause.

Discuss the results with your neurosurgeon who can give you the risks and benefits of another surgery. In general, lumbar surgery tries to eliminate leg symptoms but can not guarantee no more localized back pain.