News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Understanding MRI of Lumber spine

rhontim - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 am

I am a 43 year old women who has had a disectommy of L5-S1 in 2006. I continue to have several serious episodes with back and leg pain. Recently hospitlized for 3 days. Can someone help me understand the MRI results they are as follows:

At L5-S1 There is desiccation of disk. There is a broad central disk herniation slighly more prominent left of midline displacing the left S1 root Dorsally. There is also some facet and ligamentous overgrowth at this level.

Would I benefit from another disectomy or fusion?

Please help
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 05, 2009 11:21 am

User avatar Hello,

The L5/S1 disc is bulging and hitting a nerve. If your symptoms are on the left side especially into the hip, leg or foot then the pinched nerve is the cause.

Discuss the results with your neurosurgeon who can give you the risks and benefits of another surgery. In general, lumbar surgery tries to eliminate leg symptoms but can not guarantee no more localized back pain.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here