Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: growth between one of my disc and have a missing disc

honey25 - Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:39 am

I am 25 years old I have very bad low back pain it brings me to tears it hurts so bad.I was told that I have a growth between one of my disc and they showed it to me.No one has done any test to see what it is do you have any idea's on what it could be?I all so was told that I have a missing disc what could have happened to it?Could this be causeing my bad pain?What can be done about it?I used to pop my back all the time could this have caused this?I realy need some help on this it is affecting my life because of the pain it stops me from doing alot of things.I am a mom so I need to get something done about this.I don't have ins. and no one seams to want to do anything for me.PLEASE HELP ME SOME HOW THANK YOU
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm

I am not sure what is causing the pain in the spine. It seems somewhat confusing what the physician told you - one of the discs is missing while there is a growth between two of the vertebrae --however no recommendation was made.

There needs to be more information gleaned from your test results and from the history and physical exam to make an accurate diagnosis.

I would recommend discussing in detail with your physician the results of the imaging and your treatment options. Also important to talk about pain control measures.

honey25 - Fri May 22, 2009 11:11 pm

Well I got approved for a medical card with a spend down and I have got a new family Dr. that I see for the first time June 11 they know all of what is going on and seam to think the same thing from all the stuff I have told them and from my info from my old Dr..The other Dr. I had been seeing found this from x-ray ,the many trips to the ER they have told me I need to see a neuro- surgeon and they say pretty much I am going to have to have back surgery done,this scares me I am only 25.The are going to send me for an MRI so they can see more about whats going on.I know it's not to due with my weight I am 5ft 4in 123 pounds and was active until this.Now they tell me they are pretty sure I all so have degenerative disc disease,I thought only older people get this not at my age.To recap they say I have a missing disc,growth in between one of my vertebrare's and now to add to the list degenerative disc disease all at the age of 25.The pain is still severe on a scale of 1 to 10 it would be a 15.Can you tell me if things happen to people at such a young age?Is back surgery a good fix for all that I have going on?Can there be a missing disc or could it be due to the deteration from degenerative disc disease?If so what ca be done about this?She let me look at all this stuff on my x-rays and pointed out all the things I have listed.One more thing can some of this be due to were i always poped my back?
Thank you,
Honey25
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 24, 2009 9:58 pm

It sounds like the missing vertebrae would be something you were born with and the popping of the back would not have caused the problem.

The deteriation may be from the vertebral levels above and below the defect working overtime to compensate for loss of a vertebrae.

It sounds like you are getting matters settled with appropriate testing and surgical consideration. Once a consult with a neurosurgeon is done, you should have a better idea of the pros and cons of operative treatment.

honey25 - Mon May 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Thank you for your replys,for my sake I hope there is something different than surgery it is a scary thing. But if that is what it takes to get me back to normal I guess that is what I will have to do for myself and my family.Will keep you posted thank you.

Thank you,
Honey25

|