News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Mallet Finger

Chenggyboy - Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:19 pm

I had gotten a Mallet Finger on my Middle Finger on my right hand by playing basketball. I did not go to the doctors until 2 weeks after. They said that there was a large piece of bone torn off and gave me a metal splint not a stack splint. The doctor was not as adequete as I had hoped and my finger developed a noticable swan neck. I injured the finger on november of 2008. Is there any way i could do surgery to correct the swan neck so it is not noticable.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri May 01, 2009 11:43 am

User avatar Hello,
A mallet finger with fracture that has developed a Swan neck deformity (hyperextension of the proximal interphalangeal joint and flexion of the distal interphalangeal joint) does not respond to splinting but should be evaluated for surgical repair. So yes, there are some corrective measures that can be taken.

Take care and let us know how things turn out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here