News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: hole in shin bone?

silentt - Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:46 pm

I went to the doctor about a year ago, because i kept feeling a sharp pain in my shin whenever i put any lateral stress on it. So, they took xrays. There was a hole close to the top of the tibia. it was a good sized hole, too. They told me that it was mostlikely from how fast i grew (i am 6'4 and grew there in about 16 years), and because i played soccer for six years, and the repeated truma could have caused a cavity to form. After the xrays, I got a CT scan done. It showed another hole, about 1/4 the size of the first one, on the opposite side of the tibia. So, in june last year, they operated and filled the cavity with bone from a bone bank, and some bone they took from the top of the tibia.

It has been 10 months since the surgery, and there are three small holes where the first hole was ( went into the doctor last week and got xrays again) and also there is still nerve damage from the surgery. they cut the nerve that runs down the right side of the leg because it was in the way of them operating, and they said it would heal on its own.

My shin is extremely sensitive now due to the nerve damage, and after 9 holes of golf (using a cart, just from hitting the balls) my leg starts to hurt and gets to be unbearable. My doctor told me to give it a couple more months, and if the pain continues, to get another CT scan. For the mean time, he gave me Voltaren (75mg).

I have no idea why it would still hurt, and was reading about a type of cancer in the bone marrow (myeloma) that can stop the body's natural regrowth of bones. I just want a second (or more) opinion on this.

Any help if appreciated. Thank you in advance
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri May 01, 2009 11:53 am

User avatar Hello,
With holes in the tibia that have not resolved the question is: Could this be myeloma?
You would need to talk to your family physician about this for a review of your body systems for symptoms of myeloma (e.g. weight loss, pallor, bone pain especially in the lumbar area, sternum, skull and ribs). A complete history and physical including lab work would be needed.
From what you have described it doesn't sound like myeloma (however talk to doc about this).
The pain sounds like it is from the damaged nerve. I am wondering if the superficial or deep peroneal nerve was damaged. The surgeon would be able to asses for changes in sensation and strength of the leg supplied by these nerves.
It sounds like more follow up will be needed to examine these two area further and in more detail.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here