News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken wrist

hoar20 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:03 pm

i recently broke my wrist which was treated without surgery. However the doctor i first talked to recommended surgery for it. I have had the cast off for about 2 months and there is still a slight bump where my wrist broke (Radius bone) i believe. Anyway when i push the bone upwards my ulna shifts downwards. The doctor I saw got an MRI and said it looked like a properly healing fracture However im concerned about why the bone slips up and down when i push on the radius. I am not doubting the Fracture itself healed correctly but the position of my radius and Ulna are not correct. I have had the same injury to my right wrist and it had no slipping so im not sure if this is normal or not. Any suggestions would be great
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 pm

User avatar Hello,
The follow up xrays after the cast was removed should show the alignment of the bones and if there is any abnormal displacement or angulation.

Perhaps the initial recommendation for operative reduction (ie open reduction) was to better align the bones prior to immobilization.

If the fracture has indeed healed, there should be no "play" or shifted of the bone fragments. So, again the issue is how does the post cast xray look in comparison to previous xrays.

In general, your symptoms should be discussed with an orthopedist who can better evaluate the wrist and see if any treatment is needed.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here