Question: Knuckle on index finger swollen, painful after falling on it

BarbaraJoan - Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:35 pm

I totally face planted as I missed a step and landed on the concrete basement floor. My worst injury was my right hand. The knuckle swelled on my index finger and between it and my pointer finger. There was no bruising and it did not swell on my palm side but the top of my hand. The fingers did not swell and I could bend them forward into a fist with minimal to no pain. I can extend it and place my palm flat on the table, however any upward or sideway motion is not happening and there is fairly decent pain. I can rub the area and touch it I have even had a hand massage and they have gently pulled on the area, does not hurt to have this done. This happened almost three week ago and there is still some swelling and no better movement. Another strange thing is if I create a fist with both hands I notice I have a definite prominent knuckle on the uninjured left hand and a much more smaller knuckle protrusion on the index finger of the injured right hand. Any insight as to what I did to the area?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Time for an xray to find out what is happening (if anything) with the joint's bones.
It there is no fracture and no dislocation then we can feel more confident with giving the injury time to heal as write it down as a sprain.
Treatment for a sprain include NSAIDS, ice or heat, controlled swelling with ACE wrap (with fingers I like to use Coban), and gentle motion to tolerance.
 BarbaraJoan - Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 pm

I took your advice and went to the doctor for an x-ray and it showed no bone damage (fracture, etc) or dislocation. He felt that it was probably a ligament or tendon issue and that if it doesn't feel better in 4-5 weeks to go to a specialist as it may have been torn. Otherwise it will heal by itself. Thanks for push to have it looked at.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 07, 2009 4:02 pm

User avatar Glad to hear there is no fracture.

|