Question: Wrist injury

atul3647 - Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 am

I have a injury in my wrist while riding bike.I got some sudden impact although nothing did impacted my hand.
I have a problem in Rotation movement of my wrist. The pain is also not continous,its occurs only during the movement.There is no swelling also.
I went to a doctor for consulation but did not had the x ray as no swelling was there.
Doctor said it was partial ligament tear and may take 10-14 days to heal.
But 14 days have passed there is only some sign of relief.
I am using a Crep bandage but when I take out the bandage and starts rotating my hand the pain worsens.
I am not clear about the facts
Whether I should keep the bandage on and not try to rotate my hand or should I leave the hand free.?
Should I keep hand stable and try not to have such movements which cause pain but then I am afraid that the ligaments may join wrongly. What should I do?
Whether it gets heal by itself or should I see the doctor again.?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 03, 2009 9:51 pm

After two weeks of no change in the hand pain, it would be prudent to xray the hand and wrist.
If there is no fracture then we stick with the sprained wrist diagnosis and give it more time to heal.
Avoid the rotation movement for the time being. If no fracture then work on straight plane motions e.g. flexion and extension of the wrist. Then proceed to strengthening after full painfree range of motion.
 atul3647 - Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks for the valuable advice.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 07, 2009 4:06 pm

User avatar You are welcome.

|