Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: ankle surgery, is it ever too late?

1goner - Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:54 pm

I fractured my ankle and did not have insurance to do the immediate surgery. I toughed it out however it is still painful with swelling and throbbing. This happened 2 1/2 years ago. What procedure could I recieve and will I be able to have somewhat of a pain free and normal life. I am 49 years old. Thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon May 04, 2009 6:42 am

In general, operative repair for fractures should be done earlier than later.
Waiting can cost days and weeks of pain and makes repair more difficult especially if the fracture site heals in an abnormally angulated position that causes pain and dysfunction. To repair, the bone needs to be "broken" and reset.

With that being said, it may not be too late for surgery. Xray will be needed to judge the extent of damage and risks and benefits of surgery.

Take care and let us know how it goes.