News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: marijuana causes back pain / back spasm's

tomCC17 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:42 am

hi, im 17, 6ft , 205 pounds, and untill recently quite the pothead. unfortunatly, well unfortunate for me, i have been unable to smoke for about 2-3 months. i find that when i smoke, i get this feeling of lack of support in the lower to middle of my back(lumbar area), right in the centre. it starts out as merely uncomfortable, and slightly painfull, but occasionally it escalates to strong back spasm's that when the most severe resemble an epilectic fit. id like to point out that one, this only occurs when i smoke, and 2, despite what many people try to tell me, it is not phycological. i am a very active, and generally healthy individual, i play rugbee, i swim, iv been taking tai-kwon-do for 11 years, tennis, golf, soccer, u name it.i have never sustained any injury relating to my back, and i do not understand why this is happening. iv looked around the net, and have found that there are many people with the same problem( i will include a link to a forum thread for people with similar problems). before this occured i had been smoking quite heavily with no problems. i know that the obvious solution is to stop smoking, which i have, but if i were to heed this advice i would not be posting here. please help me find a solution, or help me identify the issue.

thanks tom

p.s i also would like to mention, that after the first incident( a MAJOR spasm that i went to the hospital for, as i thought that id messed something in my back), iv had a distinct feeling of lack of support in the area mentioned, especially while doing exercises like pushups/ situps etc.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 05, 2009 11:33 am

User avatar Hello,
This is the second case now that the writer has mentioned LBP with pot smoking.

It's been known that smoking in general retards healing post spine surgery.

The reason probably has to do with poor blood supply or decreased oxygen to the back secondary to smoking.

The solution seems simple - don't smoke.

Thanks for writing in. Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here