Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Compression Fracture causing muscle spams after two years

Neiko - Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 am

I was diagnosed with a T9 compression fracture almost 2 years ago, caused by blunt trauma to my back (it was an accident). I am a 48 y/o female, who has recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis and am currently on the 2 year tx of Forteo as well as D2 and Calicum. The one thing I've noticed though, is that I have a numbness to my left upper back to mid lumbar region (not all the time, but when I move a certain way, such as leaning forward while cooking over the stove), I know that the long muscle that supports the upper back was severely injured (possibly torn, since there was a large lump there). I'm wondering if this muscle can still be causing spasms from the accident almost 2 years ago, or possibly can a small bone fragment be aggravating a small nerve that shoots out from under T9 (intercostal nerve?). The spinal cord is fine and has no injury there. I did have an MRI only of the thoracic region, it was done without contrast and showed a 50% compression. Do you think that with contrast it would show exactly what happened to the nerves from T9? I've been to see one neurologist and he suggested an MRI wth contrast if the numbness did not improve. I saw an orthopedist the other day and he gave me a script for PT 3x's a week, and hot/cold compressed for strained muscles. Which of these sounds more feasible? Should I see another orthopedic physician?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I do not know how much more you will gain with contrast CT. For nerve tissue in the spine, I prefer to use MRI.
CT scan is better for viewing bone.

It is possible to have spasm in the back two years post accident and certainly could result from torn paraspinal muscles. The compression fracture can also elicit spasm.

P.T. sounds reasonable at this point to control pain and spasm and restore function.

|