News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Middle finger on left hand sprain or jam???

guitarguy1 - Fri May 01, 2009 2:40 pm

First off, I think that this website is a godsend. I was researching about my little problem and I found this place.

Anyway, I was at a concert last Sunday (April 26) and a guy was falling toward my direction and I tried to push him away from me and his head hit my left hand. I don't recall feeling anything significant(a pop or break), but my hand started to hurt pretty bad. My first thought was that I jammed or sprained my fingers because his head went dead on with my fingertips. I couldn't bend my middle finger very much, so I sat down during the rest of the concert. ALSO, THERE WAS NO SWELLING OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. THERE HASN'T BEEN A CASE OF SWELLING EVER SINCE IT HAS HAPPENED.

I splinted it with a wooden stick and gauze as a just in case. As the week went on, I could flex the finger more and more.

Well, It's now Friday, May 1st. I've been able to make a complete, tight fist with my left hand, but I have a question. My fingers feel fine, but there is a bruise right on the joint of the middle finger with the rest of my hand (the bottom side of the hand). Just wondering what it could be. Was it just a bad case of finger jamming or spraining?

I'm concerned about this because I'm a guitar player and when I try to bend strings on my guitar with my middle finger, it starts to hurt. Also, when I press down on anything with just my middle finger, it hurts.

I was thinking that if it was a jammed finger, it hasn't healed up all the way.

I just want to get down to the bottom of this because playing guitar is my favorite hobby and I'm hoping to be a career musician and I don't want my playing ability hindered.

I have a gig to play in early June and I can't really afford a visit to the doctor, so any advice would be really awesome. Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 13, 2009 11:15 am

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like you have sprained the distal interphalangeal joint of the middle finger. The bruising is normal and should go away with time.

Ability to bend the finger and no swelling are reassuring signs.
Of course xray is the only true way of telling a fracture. (unless a bone fragment is sticking out of the skin)

You can use heating pad on the finger for twenty minutes following by gentle range of motion; gradually return to regular activities; NSAIDS as needed.

Take care and all the best to you and your future.
 guitarguy1 - Wed May 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks for your advice Tom. It really does give me a sign of relief.

I went to clinic run by a charity and the doctor there told me I had internal swelling inside of the joints of my finger. She prescribed me a 6day pack of Prednisone and she prescribed me to take 1800mg of Ibuprofen a day (600mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day) and told me to come back in 2 weeks if the pain was still there. This is the first day that I have used the medication, and the pain is already starting to dissipate.

I was kind of freaked out because I love playing music, but it wasn't that bad after all. PHEW!!!

Once again, thanks for the advice and I am heavily grateful to you and this website. Like I mentioned before, this place is a godsend.

Take care.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 19, 2009 7:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
Glad to hear things are working out.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here