News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Osteochondrosis in Knees and Weight lifting

Snuck - Sun May 03, 2009 9:15 am

Apparently I have Osteochondrosis in both knees, it occured a 3/4 years ago. I have a hard bone like lump under each knee where it meets the shin.

I am in my early 20s and have began a weight lifting routing. However, integral to weight lifting is the Squat, which requires, by definition a squating motion with weight on the shoulders.

I don't have any particular pain in my knees (which was the case when it first started), but they often feel weak under pressure, and the most concerning thing is the crackling sound they make even when I do an unweighted squating movement. I play sports and when running my knee doesnt cause me any real pain.

Im am getting an X-ray or the appropriate scan to confirm the condition.

I was wondering, is it a bad idea to do squats and deadlifts (require similar motion witthe legs)? Even with knee braces/straps as they are pretty crucial to the programme.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
Osteochondrosis of the tibial tubercle is similar to Osgood Schlatters disease but in an adult.
The cause is too much pull on the patellar ligament via the quadriceps muscle.

I would discourage squats and dead lifts at this time to allow for healing of this area.

You may even consider this a weight training injury and therefore should avoid the same mechanism of injury until completely healed.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here