Question: Pelvis fracture

ola - Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:59 am

Hello
I had a road accident in April 2004 where I got complex injuries( left navicular scaphoid, #pelvis sacral# left, L5/S1 facet JT, L5 tranverse proces#, pelvis diastasis, wrist-radial-styloid) now I found out that I have instability in my left ancle as well . But mosty I am worried about my pelvis. Last monht I got infection due to one steel plate which i had on my pelvis, so it had to be taken out. I still have one more in my back which I can feel since operation.and it gives me strong back pain Is it natural that You feel these steel plates? I was told that it is recommended to take it out but it need s to be at least one year since operation. Is it possible to take it out before one year time? does it bring any risk, If yes what kind of risk? In general i fell ok now I just have pain in my pelvis and instability in my ancle. Does anyone know what is average time of recovery after such a injuries? another thing which worries me is that after operation i lost sensation in my foot, actually i can fell just big toe and inside part of my foot. What can be a reason of that?
If any there is anyone who can answer my questions I would really appreciate it.If there is anyone who would like to share their experiences from recovery with me please send me an email.
Kind Regards
Ola
 Dr. A. Saif - Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:25 pm

User avatar Dzien dobry Ola,

Sorry to hear about your predicament...you seem to have had a pretty nasty injury. It is difficult to give an absolute answer...but here goes...

Implanted Plates can become infected...but if there is no infection and the fracture heals well and the plates are not causing any disturbance, then they can certainly be left alone.

Pain after fractures and fixation can be caused by 1) residual movement in the fracture site, 2) Infection, 3) Disruption to adjacent structures eg the joint surfaces 4) Nerve Inury

Becuase the Spinal fractures were unstable they were stabilised with some metalwork. An unstable spine can compromise the nerves that leave the canal and cause a lot of pain, and also lead to weakness, numbness, and even loos of bladder and bowel control. The fact that you have numbness and also presumably a "foot drop" means that it is likley that the nerve is damaged. The recovery of this can take upto a year. It is important to clarify whether the nerve injury happenned before, after or during the operation. Any of these are possible, and I would suggest you get clarification from your surgeon.

Removing the metal work before the spinal fractures have healed may lead to more instabilty and more pain and possibly more nerve damage. If there is infection howver, there is no choice...while there is metal there, the infection will not go away.

Rregards

saif

|