Question: I fell playing tennis

brazenwisdom - Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 am

I fell really hard playing tennis exactly 2 weeks ago and I scraped just below my knee to the right. A day later it was black and blue and swollen. A week ago I noticed that the inside of my ankle hurts to the touch and the arch of my foot was also black and blue. Today I have black and blue marks down my leg and the top of my foot hurts too. The area where I scraped is swollen bad, and I feel a knot. The swelling is about two inches wide, it itches like crazy and the area is hot. When I push it in, it leaves dimples in my skin. I'm so afraid because I didn't go to the doctor. Do I need to worry? Please write back soon. I don't have insurance, but I've been told to go to the ER room ASAP. I'm going in the morning, well in a few hours.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:25 pm

I agree with the suggestion to see a physician who will evaluate the scraped site for infection and order an needed treatment.

The bruising down the leg is typical for a pulled muscle or traumatized tissue in the leg where bruising and swelling tend to work downward toward the foot.

Often, an x-ray is needed to rule out fracture in the painful swollen part but depends on the type of injury and its location. I would be surprised if there were any fractures with this type of injury.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|