News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: PAIN IN MY SHIN BONE

Czechleo30 - Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 am

Since years now I have the same problem. I'm a very sport oriented person. I love exercising, running, playting tennis, swimming, etc... That just as a history so you know that I am a person that exercises on a regular basis.

Everyime I start to run more or play more intense tennis, my shin bone start hurting very bad. Even after training the pain remains. If I put my hands on my shin bone and put pressure on it, it hurts very bad. The pain is with me all the time, even when I walk the days after practise.

When I stop exercising for a while, the pain goes away, but it always comes back once I exercise again. Can you tell me what that is? Is it something serious?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 13, 2009 11:38 am

User avatar Hello,
If your pain is on the inside part of the shin, this is probably shin splints.
Shin splints result from athletic activity and can be quite painful and debilitating.
Shin splints results from microtrauma of the medial tibia where the posterior tibialis, soleus, or flexor digitorum longus muscles attach. Sometimes stress fractures can occur so xray may be needed and in some cases a bone scan.

People with flattened or flattening arches can develop shin splints so it is important to check your foot type and quality of shoe support.

Treatment for shin splints includes ice, rest, stretching, correcting any muscle tightness or weakness problems in the leg, checking and correcting any foot problems, and sometimes taping or bracing.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here