News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Buring Feet and toes following C6=7 anterior cervical fusion

sherryb24 - Mon May 04, 2009 12:18 pm

In july 07 I had anterior cervical fusion of C6+7 and after a few weeks developed some burning/tingling in toes, and surgeon said it was from scarring from healing and would stop, which it did not but became increasing worse over time and now I also have muscle cramping of feet and toes. In May of 08 I had Xrays and MRI of whole spine and revealed just degenerative arthritis of spine only. Have been tested negative for diabetis recenly. Neurosurgeon said to go to pain management or back to primary. My primary has me on Neurontin 100 mg 3at night and pain meds, which do not releive the condition. The burning and cramping mostly occur when lying down, and at night and is getting worse. My internet investigation resulted in my thinking it may be RSD [Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome], could this be? What should I do now???
Sherryb
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 9:38 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would think that the burning and tingling in the toes, if neurological, would stem from a lumbar area problem.

If the spinal cord were being compressed in the cervical region, you may also complain of imbalance; plus the imaging should show any stenosis.

There is no diabetes.

My next step may be to get an EMG or NCV of the lowing limbs.

RSD seems unlikely since there is no trauma to the symptomatic limb.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here