Question: Scaphoid fracture in 9 year old?

olympic1340 - Mon May 04, 2009 9:46 pm

My 9 year old daughter fell 3 days ago while walking across some landscape timbers. She land on the pavement, using both hands (palm down), to break her fall. She complained of pain in her left wrist, just below the thumb. There was no bruising, or distortion of the wrist, and only a small amount of swelling. We treated her with ice and motrin for 2 days. She has been favoring her left hand slightly, she will still move it, swing it around, but she won't pick things up with it ( this is not her dominant hand). She complains of pain when using her hand to push up from sitting, to grab or hold things, when you touch her wrist just below her thumb on the palm side, and when her arm was hanging by he side for extended periods of time. On the 3rd day I took her to a walk in clinic. They examined her hand and took x-rays. There was no fracture to the radius or ulna, but both the PA and the Doctor thought that one of the x-rays showed a fracture to the schapoid bone. She sent copies of the x-ray to a radiologist to read. The radiologist said that he didn't believe that there was a fracture and that he has never seen a scaphoid fracture in a child of her age, so it would be very unlikely. The doctor said that it must just be sprained and gave us a scapia splint for her to wear for the next week and told us to continue with the ice and motrin for the next couple of days. There was no follow up appointment scheduled. I have been reading online that scaphoid fractures aren't always detected by the first set of x-rays. I don't know if I should push this and have it tested further, or just treat it like it is a sprain.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 am

Scaphoid fractures are notorious for hiding. However I think the radiologist is correct in that scaphoid fracture occur in adults more commonly than in kids.

Since there is no obvious or apparent fracture line on x-ray, we would treat this as sprain expecting gradual healing over the next 1-2 weeks. If the pain persists at the end of that time, then a repeat x-ray is needed.

kintas - Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:19 am

My ten year old daughter has a Scaphoid Fracture in her left arm/hand. She has been in a cast for a week now, Evan though the incident happened 3 weeks ago. We are waiting for a scan to be done at the end of this month, although we go back to the hospital next Tuesday.
She is complaining of pain radiating down from the thumb region down her arm. Other than give her pain medication I am not sure what else to do, of course I will tell the doctor on Tuesday , but what if anything can I do for her in the mean time.

Thank you.

|