Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: lower back pain

erm - Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:24 am

hey
im 15 years old and love playing sport. i hate to be sitting still for a long perind of time.
lately my lower back has been very soore after sport and standing for a while. i am concerned as there seems to be a rather large dent in my lower back where it is causing pain. am i just seeing things or could there really b a curve in my spine. i wouldnt care about it if it wasnt causing any pain, but it does, everyday.
please help as i want to continue playing sport
thanks
elly
 Dr. R. Kothari - Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:38 am

Dear Erm,
Your back could be sore from overexhertion. Try resting it for 10 days and then see how you feel. A good warm up before playing any sport makes a big difference.
If the pain persists/ progresses you need to see an orthopedic surgeon who will recommend the necessay investigations ie spine x rays/ MRI.
Cheers
Rajeev
 erm - Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:19 am

hi
thankz for the reply. i have rested it and there has not been any change. also it seems to be worse when sitting down like in a car or at school. what do you think could be the problem. thankz for the reply again and hope you reply to this one
elly
 Dr. A. Saif - Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:30 pm

User avatar G'day Ellie,

A dent in the back eh? Its difficult to know exatly what the diagnosis is without you being here in fornt of me...but tell me, is this a new dent, or do you think it has been there since birth? My colleague is absolutely right about the possible need for referral and investigation if needed. A cuple of diagnoses worth considering, in view of the limited info we have are if you can pardon the rather long words...medics have a habit translating everything into greek..
1) spina bifida occulta. this is a problem where the spine has a small defect from birth, sometime associated with a an area of darkened or hairy skin overlying it. In the majority of situations nothing needs to be done about it.
2) spondylolisthesis. This is a slip of one vertebra over the other and this can cause a bump here.
3) A defect in the pars interarticularis...(yawwwwn...I can see I have bored you already...sorry)

With these the pains can be due to either instability in the back or due to nerve root entrapment. Instability is often relative...so that it only appears symptomatic when you do significant amount of exercise in which case as my colleague said ther is nothing for it but to give exercise a bit of a rest. Or it is absolute...when normal day to day activities cause pain. Stabilisation surgically is potentially hazardous, but can be considered in these situations. Nerve entrapment causes pain by trapping nerves and may need surgical decompression.

Other causes exist su=ometimes a hip problem can make the spine curve a bit more, and give the impression of a dent in the back...but then you would possibly have problems in your groin.

Hope this satisfies...but diagnosis over the internet is more or less impossible

Saif
 erm - Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:15 am

hey
thanks for the reply.
my back has a noticalbe dent and i don't know how long it has been there 4 but i can easily fit my fist in the gap when lying down.
it hurts heaps after sitting for a long time. i have tried stretshes but that didnt help.

if i was to go and see someone what sort of person wuould u reocmmend
thanks

wlly
 Dr. A. Saif - Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:04 pm

User avatar Hiya Ellie,

I would suggest your own doctor in the first instance...if things down under are the same as in the UK. He can, perhaps, arrange simple X-rays and stuff, and you might have an idea, what is going down while he/she refers you to an orthopaedic surgeon...

regards

Saif

|