News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Neck compression due to bike crash

tuberide81 - Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 pm

Hello,

On Sunday (two days ago as I write this), I entered a mountain bike race and crashed. The crash sent me over the handle bars and skidding along the ground until a tree stopped me. Luckily (?), most of my forward motion was spent sliding on the ground, with the result of some superficial scrapes that I am not worried about. However, I did ultimately slide head first into a tree. I was wearing a helmet, so I have no head injuries, per se. But I think I have what would be called a 'compression neck injury'. Adrenaline and false pride enabled me to finish the race (I didn't win). Shortly after the race, my neck started to become sore.

My treatment thus far has included: ibuprofen, marijuana and stretching (within hours of the crash), and a massage (the day after), as well as generally taking it easy.

The massage therapist said she did not find any unusual muscle disfigurations, which makes me worry that something occurred on a skeletal level. The pain is not severe, but there is considerable discomfort particularly when I turn my neck the left.

Thanks for your time and expertise!

Sincerely,

"Bike Crasher"
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 9:28 pm

User avatar Hello "Bike Crasher"

With head and neck trauma and subsequent neck pain, I would recommend a neck x-ray to rule out fracture and dislocations.

If negative films, then be reassured with rehabilitating the neck with massage, exercise, and NSAIDS. I have read from marijuana users an increase in spine pain. I do not know the mechanism but seems to be more prevalent than we would expect.

Take care.
 tuberide81 - Thu May 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks Doc!!!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 19, 2009 8:22 pm

User avatar You are welcome.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here