Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Looking for adequate pain management

tinks599 - Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 pm

I know this can be a slippery slope. I have a bulging disc pinching the nerve at L5-S1. I have been in agony the past 3 weeks. I had a lumbar epidural injection today, but the pain management doctor said the results of the injection would take 3-12 days. I stretch each time I cannot tolerate sitting or walking, this is about 4-6 times daily. I use lidoderm patches to get me through work...a desk job. I was given Darvon by my primary care doctor. My expectation of "pain management" is to take my 8-9 pain down to a 3-4 and tolerable. I understand some pain will help remind me not to move in ways that may further injure me. The pain management doctor gave me Parafon Forte and said it would help more than the Darvon. Thusfar, it has not and I'm still in agony. I don't act out, or scream and cry. I'm very normal, but I'm in extreme pain, I've always had a high tolerance to pain. I'm wearing thin and I just don't know what to do until the effects of the injection begin to work. I'm frustrated and tired, this interferes with my sleep now and I suspect this is part of the problem. I need to know how to ask the doctor for something. I know it is short term. I'm familiar with long-term pain management for cancer patients. I'm stumped. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm tired of this. I really could use a break.
 HALISMOM - Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Tink, Just started checking into these type sites, since I do have spondolysisas (?0 and read you post.
Please let me know what you are done for your condition.
I am 50, and Neuro Surgeon says that I need to have disc removed with a pin and screws put in. I am a single mom, and in alot of pain when I walk, lay down, and stand.
 tinks599 - Thu May 14, 2009 9:24 pm

I saw the neurosurgeon today. He gave me Soma. It did about as well as the other stuff I've been taking. I think where it helped the most is I was less "stiff", but pain is still an issue. The disc in my L4-L5 is ruptured, before it was on the right...now the left. I have been scheduled for a microdiscectomy (my 2nd...the first being last year). The pharmacist asked me what I was taking for pain, when I told her 'this' (Soma), she was pretty shocked. She said it is a muscle relaxer with a mild (at best) analgesic effect. She thought I was taking it in conjunction with something else. Soon, I'll be in post-surgical pain. I've done that, it is better than this even feeling like I've been hit in the back with a sledgehammer right after surgery. He did say if I have problems with my back again, I'll need spinal fusion. It sounds like this may be what they are talking about for you. He said I may need the procedure in 5-10 years...basically if the disk ruptures again, it is fusion time.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 9:53 pm

You may be a candidate for physical therapy to help with pain control and rehab the back.

Tens units are also used for pain control.

Thirdly, you may need to add an NSAID to your medical regimen.

There are options and you are not hopeless with the back pain. You should improve with time but should use caution with long term narcotic use as this may lead to tolerance and dependency.

All the best to you.

|