Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Osteoarthritis or something else?

Seeshell1975 - Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:21 am

I am now 27 years old. I have been suffering with joint pain since the age of 15. It started in one knee, spread to other joints in my legs, and now the thoracic portion of my back. Several years ago my sediment and the inflamation factor in my blood was high, tests for ANA and Rheumatoid arthritis were negative. Recent x-rays showed deterioration in my back. My leg had been numb for four years and my physical therapist found a pinched nerve at L3. Four weeks of physical therapy helped clear up some of the numbness in my leg and movement in my back, but the pain is still there. Is it possible to have osteoarthritis at 15 or is there something else possibly going on. I have made an appointment with a very good rheumatologist in my area, but I couldn't get an appointment until august and I am currently having a very bad period. For years doctors told me that I had pulled a muscle.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:58 pm

User avatar Seeshell,
What exactly did the x-ray say. Please copy the details here.
 Seeshell1975 - Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:02 pm

I am currently getting copies of my medical records to take to the rheumatologist, however my primary care physician stated that I had bone spurs and deterioration in the thoracic part of my spine, however he stated that the report did not specify at which vertebrae it was at.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:09 pm

User avatar Well that sounds rather strange cause even if the report doesnt state which vertebrae the spur are it shouldnt be too difficult for your doctor to tell by just looking at the x-rays.

As far as spurs are concerned: Bone spurs are the result of changes over time to the ends of the bones, particularly the vertebrae that make up the spinal column. The fibrous cushions, or disks, between vertebrae tend to toughen and shrink with age. Meanwhile, the tough, elastic cartilage at the ends of the bones progressively hardens.

As the space between the vertebrae becomes narrower, the bone tends to compensate for the loss by growing knobby enlargements, commonly called bone spurs. These growths are often seen in older people who have disk problems, but they also can occur in young adults — especially athletes, dancers or laborers — who put unusual stress on muscles, ligaments and tendons.

Unlike the rounded ends of bones in normal joints, spurs do not develop a layer of protective cartilage. In some cases, the new bony surfaces eventually smooth themselves through normal movement. But when they don't, bone spurs can rub against other bony surfaces, nerves or blood vessels, causing pain and inflammation. When such bony growths appear in the upper vertebrae of the neck, the condition is called cervical osteoarthritis. A particularly bothersome condition occurs when a spur develops in the foot, causing pain when standing or walking.
 Seeshell1975 - Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:17 pm

the doctor did not see the actual x-rays, just the radiology report. He gave me percocet for the pain, but I have a sixteen month old son, so I can't take it. Do products like osteo biflex or such actually help ease the pain and inflammation? I've tried ibruprofen, tylenol, aleve, and exedrine, and nothing really seems to help. I can't use creams or rubs because my skin is too sensitive. I'm really having trouble taking care of my son because of it and my rheumatology appointment is three months away.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:27 pm

User avatar Well if you've taken these painkillers and they havent done much then Osteo Bi-Flex wont be the quick cure either. You should try limiting movement as much as is practically possible and you should try topical analgesics to help. If your skin is sensitive to one of them it doesnt mean its sensitve to all of them. Its not the ideal therapy but i think its better than taking nothing at all.
 Seeshell1975 - Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:43 pm

Thanks for the advice !
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:18 pm

User avatar Your welcome Seeshell!
 fedsafety - Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:52 pm

I am a 43 year old male. I have had knee problems all my life. I have osteoarthritis in both knees on the medial side. On the left knee there is a 3 mm piece of the medial condyle missing and on the right 3 cm is missing. I injured the left knee in 2000 and had the fragment removed and have had minor discomfort since. I had the fragments removed in December of 2008 and have had significant trouble with it, even when using an 'off-loader' brace. I also have HCM so I am prohibited from solid cardio work that would help me lose weight. I have three kids under the age of 9 and I am just trying to keep up with them. My doctor says the right knee is a candidate for a partial knee replacement, but his practice does not do it. So I am looking for some information and perhaps a good Medical Group to talk to in the Mid Atlantic Area. I am in Delaware.

|