Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: occasionnal shoulder pain on both sides, limited mobilit

neumja - Tue May 05, 2009 8:18 pm

I have occasional shoulder pain on both sides for nearly 12 years, I am nearly 30 now. When the pain comes on I am unable to raise my arms past horizontal, sometimes less. There is some popping or clicking when moving the shoulder joint even when there is no pain. There was once consideration that there was tendinitis. I am wondering if I would need surgery or if this is even correctable.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:54 am

With the type of pain in your shoulder, tendinitis is certainly a consideration. You may even call it impingement syndrome where the rotator cuff tendon pinches under the acromion about half way up as you lift your arms away from the body to the overhead position (lifting outward to the side - not in front of the body).

The bursa may also become inflamed in this area too.

The causes of impingement include bony spurs on the acromion, muscle weakness in the shoulder, and repetitive overhead work (like painting).

Treatment consists of an exercise program, NSAIDs, ice or heat.

Since rotator cuff impingement can lead to rotator cuff tear it is important to treat this correctly so physical therapy is often prescribed.

Take care and God bless.

|