Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Crepitus sound in cervical spine and stiffness/burning

spine - Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi just wondering if you can please answer my question. Not to sure what to do anymore here i have been to chiro's physios i had and mri done and went to see a neurosurgeon and he said it looks ok maybe a little disc buldge.
I get this cracking like rubbing sound in my cervical spine when i move my head left to right and tremendous stiffness in the join on back of head toward the right side.
I also get burning sensation and makes it hard to concentrate.
I am wonering what it could be.
I constantly try to massage it or push my head up, It helps a bit then comes back.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 9:34 pm

The sounds that you hear tend to be more prevalent in joints which ache or hurt. Some of the noises can be found or heard in lots of normal painfree people.

The stiffness especially if worse in the morning may be due to arthritis.

The mild disc bulge is not too concerning unless associated with neurological symptoms.

Conservative treatment is the best way to go unless the symptoms are overwhelming and progressive.

Unless, there is a specific neurological or bony abnormality, I would treat this as mechanical neck pain with some arthritis.

|