News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Crepitus sound in cervical spine and stiffness/burning

spine - Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi just wondering if you can please answer my question. Not to sure what to do anymore here i have been to chiro's physios i had and mri done and went to see a neurosurgeon and he said it looks ok maybe a little disc buldge.
I get this cracking like rubbing sound in my cervical spine when i move my head left to right and tremendous stiffness in the join on back of head toward the right side.
I also get burning sensation and makes it hard to concentrate.
I am wonering what it could be.
I constantly try to massage it or push my head up, It helps a bit then comes back.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 9:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
The sounds that you hear tend to be more prevalent in joints which ache or hurt. Some of the noises can be found or heard in lots of normal painfree people.

The stiffness especially if worse in the morning may be due to arthritis.

The mild disc bulge is not too concerning unless associated with neurological symptoms.

Conservative treatment is the best way to go unless the symptoms are overwhelming and progressive.

Unless, there is a specific neurological or bony abnormality, I would treat this as mechanical neck pain with some arthritis.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here