News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spinal Injection during Herpes/Cold Sore infection

StillStanding - Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 am

Hello, I am scheduled to have a Cervical Spine injection tomorrow, under anesthesia, but yesterday I broke out with a cold sore. I already know of the risks of a receiving a spinal injection during a skin infection such as a boil, and the potential danger of transferring the infection into the spinal cord (meningitis). By tomorrow morning, I have to make a decision about whether it's safe to go forward with the injection while I have an active herpes simplex infection with a blister on my lip. I did consult both my doctor and my pharmacist, and was told it is safe to start my Acyclovir 800mg twice a day, which I did as of yesterday afternoon. I realize that the rest of my life could be affected if I make the wrong decision. I am very grateful for your assistance.
~StillStanding
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

User avatar Hello,
There may be a risk of the herpes virus causing more symptoms with a spinal area corticosteroid injection but I do not know of a risk of seeding the spinal area with herpes from a local injection - given the cold sore is on the mouth.

To be sure, you may wait a week allowing the herpes to settle down then have the injection.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here