Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Could this be Piriformis Syndrome

joester - Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 pm

I am 33 years old an am having an issue with some neuropathy. This is how it started. I began a new job in July of 2008 and it requires sitting for 10 hours on a daily basis. Anyway my butt muscles seemed to get really sore and hurt to the point of not being able sit long. I would fidget about trying to get comfortable. I just thought it would go away. After about 2 months of this i noticed that I was getting a creepy crawling sensation in my calf I had what felt like pin pricks around my knees. It seems to be worse on my right side and it hurt to sit on that side. So I adjusted sides. I began to sit on my left side. This too began to bother me in the same way that the right side did. Anyway after a little while I noticed that I was having this burning sensation in both buttocks and it goes down to the top of my thigh. the sides of my legs have this burning sensation to them and my skin feels hypersensative. I also have the burning in my calves and within the last few weeks I have been experiencing tingling and burning in my toes. It feels better when standing up almost to the point of being not existent. I cannot ride a bike or an exercise bike because of the excruciating pain and burning when sitting. When I stretching it feels ok when stretching but as soon as I let my leg go I feel a tingling sensation that runs down the back of my leg. I also notice that when I take a shower the tingling is there as well. I am at the point now that when I sit I literally cannot sit. I burns so bad that my legs feel like they are on fire. After a 40 hour work week it is insane! Over the weekend however I do notice an improvement since I am not sitting down as much. I am taking lyrica but that is doing absolutely nothing. The neurologist thinks it is small nerve disease but I am thinking this is a bunch of bunk. This has been a very progressive thing starting last July. Icing it helps out a lot and stretching the piriformis muscle hurts to stretch on either side.

Also during all this time my upper back now tingles and spreads into my arms. The left arm is the worse. I believe that it is probably pinched up there with me trying to get comfortable when sitting. I tend to lean to the left side the most.

Any suggestions? I go the neurologist this week and am taking some info on the piriformis syndrome. I have almost exactly what I am reading and know that if I can get the pain in my buttocks to go away everything will start feeling better. The more I sit the worse the supposed "neuropathy" in my legs get.

Joester
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 pm

User avatar Hello Joester,
Yes, it certainly sounds like piriformis syndrome.

Treatment is conservative: hot and cold modalities to relieve pain and inflammation, stretching and strengthening, and NSAIDS.

During the work day, standing every 30-45 minutes for trunk extension stretching and standing piriformis stretch is important.

The goal during work is to get as much blood supply to the buttock area throughout the day. With prolonged pressure, from sitting, the area needs blood and oxygen - for healing and for preventing further pain. Exercise is the way to go.

If needed, see a physical therapist for detailed instructions and rehab.

|