Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Shoulder Replacement Surgery

lineman - Thu May 07, 2009 12:47 pm

I am a 48 year old male. I had a motorcycle wreck one year ago. Had to have a shoulder replacement surgery. Five weeks ago I had to have a shoulder reversal surgery because the other surgery did not work. The Dr said that my rotatorcup was gone.Just wonder how long this pain will last. It really makes me sore when I do PT. Which I do three times a week. Dr told me to apply for disability because he thought I would not be able to do any long term physical work. He said this surgery is last resort. Said normally this surgery is done on people sixty-five years or older. Just wonder if I will ever be close to normal again? Just wonder if I need to do some kind of pain management instead of taking this Norco everyday? Also have trouble sleeping because I just can not get comfortable.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Yes, shoulder replacement surgery is a last resort and normally is done on older folks.

I understand the "reversal" as the hardware was removed.

One of the problems may be that the joint is degenerated so much that the subcondral (below the cartilage) bone is exposed and causing great pain.

Lacking a rotator cuff muscular attachment will affect how you lift your arm and will reduce your lifting and overall physical use capacity.

If PT is causing more pain, it may be time to back down on the intensity.

Pain can be difficult to manage therefore adding pain management consultation is wise.

Operative treatment is limited to another shoulder replacement or fusion. The goal would be to decrease the pain but you will sacrifice motion and function with these fixes.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|