News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Blunt Injury on Foot 5 weeks ago,extreme pain,lump now

hurtagain - Sat May 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Hello

I hurt my foot 5 weeks ago (4 april). It was a thick iron bar on the street i did not notice and hit the top part of my foot. It had swollen right away and turned black and blue - The part from the mid to the toes, like from below my big toe and the 3rd or 4th toe.

I was able to walk but was bit painful and black and swollen.I got the Xray done a day later. The doc said that there were no broken bones, but a blunt injury. He prescribed rest.

I had to travel abroad the next morning and have been walking at least 2 kilometers everyday since then. A couple of days as much as 10 Kms.
I did not take any medication either. Tight shoes have been hurting. I do not wear high heels.

The blackness is almost gone but for a small lumpy area near the mid foot(top). Also slightly swollen. But for the past 4-5 days it is extremely painful.

I am unable to set foot on ground since yesterday and it hurts even though I am lying in bed since last 24 hours.

Please let me know your suggestion and advice about what I must do. I am in foreign country and language is a problem.

Someone back home suggested that I use elastoplaster and it will be fine. Please let me know if it is true?

All advice will be a great help indeed.

Thanks a lot in advance.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu May 14, 2009 11:28 am

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like the tissue that was traumatized has not had enough time to heal.

Tight shoes will make matters worse.

At this point, using an Ace wrap, foot elevation, and ice packs is the most immediate treatment.

Crutches will help with walking and allow the foot to heal faster.

In general, ease up on the activity level and treat the pain and swelling as mentioned above. NSAIDS will help too.

If the pain continues despite these measures, you will need to see a physician.

All the best to you and let us know how things turn out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here