News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Is It Time For Bunion Removal Surgery??

cetbball - Sun May 10, 2009 9:34 pm

I have bunions on both of my feet. They give me pain on a scale of 10, their a 7. My big toe has moved under my 2nd toe on both feet. I run track and play basketball and after practice or meets or games they hurt even worse than on a regular night. I have used separators but they cause me more pain than leaving them alone. Should I go to the doctor about them? Could it be time for surgery? What type of surgery would I most likely need? Should I go to a podiatrist or an orthopedist?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:01 am

User avatar Hello,
Because the great toe has moved under the second toe and is causing pain and greater pain after activity corrective surgery (bunionectomy) is a consideration.

I would pick an orthopedist who specializes in feet or a podiatrist who has done the procedure often. The main point in selecting either is whether or not they have done the bunionectomy procedure often and successfully.

At your visit, they should describe the procedure along with the risks and benefits. Be aware that once corrected the bunion problem may return after a few years.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here