News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Spondylothesis

HALISMOM - Mon May 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Please any advise would be helpul.
Last September I started having pain (sciatic) in left leg. Nothing real bad, but went to se a Neuro Surgeon, who then sent me to Pain Management.
Received Epodurals (Depo Medrol) they only last 10 days.
Then the Faucet (Depo, Lido), they did not work.
Now the pain is much worse. Cannot walk or stand without pain. Pain now however in the last month occurs when laying down ( havnig latest MRI was very painful).
I had thought a simple dystctomy, however after new MRI (nothing really has changed) Neuro says that no it would be removal of disc with pins, etc.
I am a single mom, layed off from work. I canot take my daughter shopping, nothing requiring the use of my leg.
Should I try Pain Management again? I do not want to do this extreme surgery, I would like anyones opions.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would need to know more about what the MRI shows.

Apparently there is a stable degeneration in the spine to warrant the suggestion of a discectomy.

Discectomy aims at relieving pain down the leg but does not guarantee reduced back pain. Again, the prognosis is dependent on the extent of damage, general health, etc.

Some experts propose a regular walking program. For those with spinal stenosis, this is limited but for others it is the ticket to a better back.

Discussing all the options with the neurosurgeon is helpful including expectation of pain management.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here