News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Dislocated Middle Finger 3months ago, pain and swelling

FearOfDoctors - Mon May 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi, 3 months ago during basketball season i dislocated my left hand middle finger at the knuckle. I went to the ER and they popped it back in and said that nothing was broken. I followed up with two orthopedics in the same week(to see if I could play in the remaining games) but both doctors said no, and to keep it in a splint for three weeks. Now it is three months later and my finger is still extrmely swollen and disfigured. I am also unable to bend my finger past a 90 degree angle and it still hurts. What could be causing the swelling and pain? I really want to be able to play basketball without having pain and limited movment.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:44 pm

User avatar Hello,
I understand the finger was dislocated (probably hyperextended) and relocated in the ER. X-rays were negative. The joint was immobilized in a splint for 3 weeks but 3 months later the finger is still swollen, sore and stiff.

There probably has been ligament damage due to the dislocation and would explain the swelling and soreness.

Since the symptoms persist then you should discuss with an orthopedist. The finger could be unable or may have been re-injured after the splint was off.

You may need to let it rest a bit more and rehab the finger with occupational or physical therapy for 4-6 weeks.

As a rule, with hyperextension dislocations of fingers without fractures, it is important to buddy tape the fingers after relocation and gently flex the fingers gradually over time without causing additional pain and swelling...and avoid any hyperextension movements.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here