Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: hip replacement for 44 year old

froglegs2 - Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 am

I am 44 years old. I just found out about 8 months ago that i have hip dysplasia. I have been having left hip pain for about two years. Just recently it has gotten worse, yesterday i was unable to walk or bear weight on my leg and missed work. Two weeks ago it was pain, spasms in my back and hip that sent me to the doctor. I recieved a hip injection two weeks ago, thus then this week the not being able to walk with out severe pain. I have seen 4 orthopedic surgeons, no one wants to touch me surgically. I am very frustrated and getting to the point where i cant do daily exercising like i want to. I am a nurse and i work 12 hour night shifts. I also have some scoliosis and pelvic tilt, maybe short leg not sure. I don't really want surgery, total hip replacement, but it is getting to the point where i cant do the things i want to. Am i too young for a hip replacement. Some say i would need at least one or two revisions if i get a thr now.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:13 am

Usually 50 years old is the younger end of when THR are done. Is the joint degenerated to the extent that the hip needs total replacement?

Can a partial or hemi arthroplasty be done or... arthroscopic surgery done?

Sometimes an MRI can specify the extent of damage and give a better idea if the defect are repairable.

It is true that younger age with THR will require revision at 15 years =/- 5 years.

sarkfollower - Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Look into "hip resurfacing." I had it done at 29 years old due to a sports injury that never healed correctly leading to painful cysts and bone spurs in the hip joint. Instead of running the rod down your leg (which can cause a lot of issues in itself), the rod is through the neck of the hip. They shave down the femoral head and put a "mushroom cap" on as well as replace the socket (removing all pain). Highly recommend the procedure if you are a candidate.

|