Question: Fractured Scaphoid, 4 weeks ago. Cold?

jamesuk - Tue May 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey, i fractured my scaphoid 4 weeks ago and got put into a cast, iv couple of weeks ago changed the cast to a less heavy and restricting one.

Im just wondering if its normal for my fingers to be quite alot colder than on my normal hand. I know theres some kind of blood supply issue with the scaphoid which is why im wondering a bit. Need to get my cast off next week for my new job so if there are complications im screwed really!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:59 am

Yes, you are correct about the risk of osteo-necrosis or non union of the scaphoid bone due to poor blood supply however this is localized to the scaphoid and should not affect the blood flow to the entire hand.

If the hand is cold, blue-ish color, numb or tingling, the cast will need to be changed.

All the best to you through your recovery.

|