Question: Avulsion fracture, 5th metatarsal

BrooklynRN - Thu May 14, 2009 8:14 am

Hello there,

Last december I experienced an avulsion fracture of the proximal end of the 5th metatasal, left foot. Because the end of the bone shattered into multiple pieces my MD wanted to wait and see if it would heal on its own before we decided on surgery to remove the pieces and reattach the tendon somewhere else on the bone.

I still have pain. X-rays showed that the fracture was healing approx 10 weeks later, but I have nearly daily foot pain. Often the pain is more in my ankle than the actual location of the break. I'm an ER nurse and I spend 12+ hours on my feet. It's starting to impact my quality of life. Since I was treated I've moved to a different state. I know I should probably have the situation re-evaluated, but what do you feel is the out look?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:14 am

I understand this was an avulsion fracture of the proximal 5th metatarsal and not a Jones fracture.

The bone has been healing but the ankle is painful.

I suspect the ankle pain is from standing or walking in an awkward or compensatory manner. Standing for prolonged periods of time does not help either.

But there is hope.
I would start with a re-assessment of the fracture site: x-ray, physical exam. Then start some rehab (depending on re-assessment). If the bones are stable and healing then you can proceed with progressive rehab.

Hope this helps and all the best to you.

|